By Politiko staff
The government probe on the anomalous flood control projects will continue even with the recantation of witness Orly Guteza, Malacañang said on Thursday.
In a press briefing, Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary and Palace press officer Claire Castro said the recantation of Guteza would not derail the investigation of the controversial projects.
She made the remarks after Guteza said Senator Rodante Marcoleta and former lawmaker Mike Defensor tapped him to lodge accusations against ex-Speaker Martin Romualdez in exchange for money and scholarships for his children.
Last year, Guteza alleged that he personally delivered suitcases containing millions of pesos to the houses of Romualdez and resigned Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co. Both officials denied these allegations.
Castro said government agencies like the Ombudsman, Department of Justice, and other investigating bodies would continue scrutinizing the evidence.
“Ang nais naman po ng Pangulo ay laging ayon sa batas, hindi gawa-gawang ebidensiya,” she said.
Castro added that fabricated evidence would only undermine efforts to pursue accountability in corruption.
She stressed that the reported recantation of the allegations should undergo scrutiny as well.
“Dapat po ma-check, mabalanse lahat,” she pointed out.
“Kung sino iyong mastermind sa pagpapagawa ng ganitong klaseng mga scenario, sampahan ng kaso,” Castro said.
She said President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. only wants the true story to come out. Castro also cautioned Filipinos not to be lured by offers of money in exchange for false accusations.
“Huwag tayong marahuyo, huwag tayong magpa-entice sa ino-offer na pera, para lang manira ng taong maaaring inosente o maaaring walang kinalaman sa gagawin ninyong akusasyon,” the Palace official said.
“Kung mayroon naman ding may alam ang katotohanan, para ma-pin down, mapanagot ang dapat mapanagot, maaari na rin po kayong lumabas at makipagtulungan sa gobyerno,” she added.—Politiko.com.ph