Skip to content
POLITIKO logo

Thailand seeks new path to end deadly southern insurgency, negotiator says

POLITIKO | politiko.com.ph
August 19, 2026

By Panu Wongcha-um, Reuters

BANGKOK, Aug 19 (Reuters) – Thailand is ready to shift its approach to a slow-burn insurgency in its Muslim-majority deep south and revitalise a peace process, Bangkok’s chief negotiator said, as violence simmers in one of Southeast Asia’s longest-running conflicts.

Any such move could mark a return to addressing the political roots of a conflict that has killed more than 7,800 people since 2004, when the latest round of the insurgency led mainly by the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) flared in Thailand’s southernmost provinces, bordering Malaysia.

In the latest violence in the region, five security personnel were killed in an attack last month.

Since talks facilitated by Malaysia began in 2013, the peace process has repeatedly stalled amid changing governments in Bangkok, internal divisions on both sides and a focus on trading concessions for a reduction in violence.

Thanut Suvarnananda, head of Thailand’s National Intelligence Agency who was appointed by the government in April to lead the peace process, said he wants to move away from a transactional approach.

“My principle is not ‘deal or no deal’,” he told Reuters in a rare media interview, underlining the traditional approach and pointing to previous confidence-building measures that yielded limited results.

“If they stop shooting, what does Thailand have to give them in return? We (cannot) fall into the same trap as the past 10-plus years.

“Why don’t we reopen the discussion and talk about what form of governance would actually be appropriate for the southern border region?” he said, indicating Bangkok’s willingness to be more accommodating to self-administration mechanisms than in the past.

“From the discussions I’ve had, I think I’ve found what is at the heart of it: an appropriate form of governance.”

This way, Thanut said, he seeks to turn the BRN from an adversary into a potential partner in addressing demands from communities across Thailand’s deep south, including the predominantly Malay-Muslim provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat that were once part of the independent Malay sultanate of Patani.

Amnesty, pardons and sentence reductions for suspected insurgents with outstanding warrants or in custody were being considered, Thanut said. Such proposals have been discussed previously, but have not yielded concrete measures.

The BRN, fighting a guerrilla war to secure independence for the three southern provinces, did not respond to a request for comment.

POLITICAL CONCESSION

Bangkok needs to demonstrate that negotiations can deliver meaningful political change and ensure its multiple security agencies are aligned, if Thai authorities are looking to pivot after years of focusing on violence reduction, said Rungrawee Chalermsripinyorat, a lecturer at Prince of Songkla University who studies the conflict.

“It has to be prepared to make political concessions,” she said, referring to the government.

So far, efforts to restart formal talks have been complicated by violence, including the July attack in Narathiwat that killed five security personnel and injured six civilians, prompting Bangkok to postpone pre-planned dialogue processes.

Thanut said he had asked the BRN why attacks were taking place when discussions had been progressing well and the two sides were moving towards signing a “preliminary framework” as early as September.

He said the BRN was still discussing the matter internally. But there are no new dates for formal talks to resume and Thanut said communication between both sides would continue.

RESTRICTIVE SECURITY MEASURES

A recent upsurge in violence in the south has been driven by waning confidence within the BRN in the peace process, said Rungrawee, citing discussions with members of the movement.

“People sitting at the negotiating table may still be interested, but many others within the organisation have lost faith in it,” she said.

Following public consultations, Thanut said he envisages an approach where BRN representatives, or people trusted by the movement, can work with Thai officials and experts to explore decentralisation and other governance arrangements.

Restrictive security measures, including village cordons, searches and checkpoints, that could stoke resentment within local communities and fuel the insurgency, also need to be reviewed, he said.

“We’ve been fighting for years. They cannot defeat the state, and we cannot eliminate them completely,” Thanut said.

“So let’s talk.”—Reuters

SEND AN EMAIL ↗ TO POLITIKO EDITOR
SHARE THIS!
READ MORE STORIES ON POLITIKO ABOUT:
BRN, Foreign Affairs, governance, News, peace process, Reuters, security, Southeast Asia, Southern Insurgency, Thailand, Thanut Suvarnananda

Related Posts

  • Thailand takes step towards same-sex marriage with parliament vote
  • Frequent flyer, unexplained funds? Kapunan targets VP Sara’s 91 foreign trips
  • Less noise, more context: Ronnie Puno, Alex Calleja make sense of impeachment brouhaha in ‘What’s the Point’
  • DFA seeks details on arrest of more than 100 Filipinos in China
  • Marcos announces new overseas labor office in Thailand

POLITIKO | LATEST NEWS

‘Rex’-tructuring in order: Marcos pulls ‘dormant’ PCUP, NAPC from DSWD

August 20, 2026

‘Easily manufactured’: Romualdez defense seeks case dismissal as more witnesses recant

August 20, 2026
TRENDING

FRESH

1. ‘Di kawalan si Guteza! Ombudsman says 28 witnesses can pin Martin Romualdez

2. ‘Star witness’ Madriaga? Sara Duterte camp says detained witness is No. 1 on defense list

3. Mikee Romero retires from AFP Reserve Force: ‘Duty to people, country will endure’

Sara Duterte’s food aid drive reaches Lanao del Norte

August 20, 2026

Grace Poe honors FPJ on birth anniversary: ‘Nawa’y manatili pa rin siya sa puso ng mas maraming Pilipino’

August 20, 2026
TRENDING

FAST

1. Love knows no age: Tonypet Albano weds Fil-Am reportedly 30 years his junior

2. From P600 ‘ukay’ bags to P3.5M tuition: Queenie Pacquiao heads to US for college

3. Sinusulot para maka-16? Chiz Escudero reportedly wooing Jinggoy, Villars, Loren Legarda to convict Sara Duterte

UN’s Guterres seriously concerned by US sanctions on ICC

August 20, 2026

Thailand seeks new path to end deadly southern insurgency, negotiator says

August 19, 2026
TRENDING

FURIOUS

1. Sara supporters sibak! House strips key posts from lawmakers who opposed, skipped Duterte impeachment vote

2. Taguig trouble deepens: 42 projects flagged as ‘ghost,’ illegal reclamation evidence eyed vs Alan Cayetano

3. Firm of Zaldy Co’s lawyer reportedly linked to foiled ‘honeytrap’ vs. Ralph Recto
ADVERTISEMENT

POLITIKO | TRENDING IN REGIONS

POLITIKO | NORTH LUZON
Gov. Guico Warns vs. Fake News, AI-Generated Content


Mayor Awisan Brings Government Services Closer to Tapapan Residents


Gov. Singson Welcomes DILG Region V Delegation to Ilocos Sur


POLITIKO | SOUTH LUZON
Rep. Ramil Hernandez pushes discount for students’ cellphone load


Mayor Orlan Calayag distributes refrigerators for Child Development Centers


Mayor Cocoy Mendoza turns over new school facilities, thanks Rep. Aniela Tolentino for support


POLITIKO | CENTRAL LUZON
Mayor Mendoza assures aid to calamity-hit families in Hagonoy


San Luis LGU welcomes ChildFund Navotas for benchmarking activity


Dinalupihan LGU provides food packs to flood-affected residents


POLITIKO | BICOL/MIMAROPA
Villafuerte visits residents of Tigaon barangay


Ismail says fisherfolk beneficiaries to get rice packs


Umali joins disability rights week celebration in Roxas


POLITIKO | METRO MANILA
Laban sa Baha: Mayor Emi, PBBM Inspect Tripa de Gallina Pumping Station


Mayor Joy Partners with DPWH for Major Quezon City Flood Control Projects


Mayor Ruffy Biazon comes to aid of Muntinlupeño OFW who fell prey to human traffickers


POLITIKO | VISAYAS
Cebu councilor pushes biodiesel ordinance to tackle waste, flooding


Gov. Ongchuan explores healthcare partnership with Siemens Healthineers


9,136 NOHS students get free bags, school supplies from Bacolod


POLITIKO | MINDANAO
Maguindanao massacre victim’s daughter urges MTRCB to show 58th in local cinemas


Vice Mayor Rigo Duterte delivers aid to Davao City fire victims


Mayor Irick Agbon pushes faster business permits, data tracking system


ADVERTISEMENT
POLITIKO logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube
Stay ahead in Philippine politics with POLITIKO. Your trusted source for timely and insightful news, shaping the narrative since 2014. #PhilippinePolitics

Navigation

Sitemap
National News
Provincial News
Magazine

About

About Us
Contact Us
Disclaimer
The views and opinions expressed in this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, views and opinions of MCD Multimedia Corporation. Any content provided by our authors or contributors are their opinion are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual or anyone or anything.
COPYRIGHT 2022 | POLITIKO | MCDM All Rights Reserved
MCD MULTIMEDIA
POLITIKO logo
Today's Headlines
Daily Feed
Lokal
Politiskoop
Social Snitch
Video
Politiko LIVE!

REGIONAL NEWS

LUZON

Metro Manila
North Luzon
Central Luzon
South Luzon
Bicol / MIMAROPA

VISAYAS

Visayas

MINDANAO

Mindanao

INTERNATIONAL POLITICS

Global

CAMPUS POLITICS

Campus