Skip to content
POLITIKO logo

US-South Korea to cut duration and scope of military drills after Trump order

POLITIKO | politiko.com.ph
August 19, 2026

By Joyce Lee and Heejin Kim

South Korea and the United States will cut short annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, the allies said on Wednesday, after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in U.S. participation.

The change in the drills comes as Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits South Korea on Wednesday and Thursday for regional security talks expected to cover developments on the Korean peninsula.

The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began on August 17, will now run through August 21, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Pentagon official said, instead of the original end date of August 27.

South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the allies were moving to cancel the drills’ second phase, media said, adding that it had been expected to involve counterattack operations after an initial defensive phase.

At the suggestion of the United States, the countries agreed on partial adjustments to the duration and scope of the drills, the JCS said. Some combined field manoeuvre training would also be scaled back, although details were still being discussed.

A U.S. Department of Defense official said the department had substantially reduced the exercise and associated live-training events, with some cancelled or switched to simulations.

The changes would preserve essential readiness and training aims, with no degradation to U.S. training objectives, the official added.

The changes follow Trump’s order on Sunday to “substantially reduce” the U.S. role in the drills, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Trump’s objectives in the order appeared to be to pressure Seoul over the pace of its promised U.S. investments under a trade deal, shift attention from U.S. challenges in Iran and reopen diplomacy with Pyongyang, one analyst said.

“Trump is trying to catch three birds with one stone here,” said Ellen Kim, senior fellow at the Korea Economic Institute of America.

NORTH KOREA DENOUNCES DRILLS

North Korea again denounced the drills on Wednesday, saying it would continue exercising its right to self-defence against what it called military threats from Washington and Seoul, the official news agency KCNA said.

In a commentary, it called the United States and South Korea “warmongers” raising tension on the Korean peninsula, but stopped short of mentioning Trump, his order or the scaling back.

North Korea’s decision to issue the commentary, rather than a statement by a senior official or a military show of force, may signal an effort to leave room for diplomacy, said Hong Min, a researcher at the Korea Institute for National Unification.

Trump has pushed aides to arrange an in-person meeting with Kim as soon as this autumn, the Wall Street Journal said, citing U.S. officials.

He has discussed holding talks during a possible November trip to Asia for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in the Chinese technology hub of Shenzhen, the paper added.

Reuters could not immediately verify the report.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment on its approach to North Korea or the military exercises.

Trump said on Monday that Kim had responded to his outreach, without disclosing the nature of the contact.

Pyongyang routinely condemns joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises as rehearsals for invasion, while Washington and Seoul say they are defensive and necessary to ensure readiness against North Korea’s military threats.

Neither South Korean nor U.S. officials had been aware in advance of Trump’s order, South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, President Lee Jae Myung said the Ulchi exercises were defensive and Seoul had no intention of using them to attack North Korea or heighten tension on the peninsula. (REUTERS)

SEND AN EMAIL ↗ TO POLITIKO EDITOR
SHARE THIS!
READ MORE STORIES ON POLITIKO ABOUT:
Donald Trump, military drills, North Korea, South Korea, Ulchi Freedom Shield, United States

Related Posts

  • Amb Romualdez to represent Marcos at Trump inauguration
  • McCain takes parting shot at Trump in final message
  • Tinotoo nga! Robredo: Foreign donors shunning aid to PH due to lack of request from gov’t
  • Taiwan president thanks US for help in strengthening defences
  • US shares blame for violence shaking Mexico cartel: president

POLITIKO | LATEST NEWS

‘Rex’-tructuring in order: Marcos pulls ‘dormant’ PCUP, NAPC from DSWD

August 20, 2026

‘Easily manufactured’: Romualdez defense seeks case dismissal as more witnesses recant

August 20, 2026
TRENDING

FRESH

1. ‘Di kawalan si Guteza! Ombudsman says 28 witnesses can pin Martin Romualdez

2. ‘Star witness’ Madriaga? Sara Duterte camp says detained witness is No. 1 on defense list

3. Mikee Romero retires from AFP Reserve Force: ‘Duty to people, country will endure’

Sara Duterte’s food aid drive reaches Lanao del Norte

August 20, 2026

Grace Poe honors FPJ on birth anniversary: ‘Nawa’y manatili pa rin siya sa puso ng mas maraming Pilipino’

August 20, 2026
TRENDING

FAST

1. Love knows no age: Tonypet Albano weds Fil-Am reportedly 30 years his junior

2. From P600 ‘ukay’ bags to P3.5M tuition: Queenie Pacquiao heads to US for college

3. Sinusulot para maka-16? Chiz Escudero reportedly wooing Jinggoy, Villars, Loren Legarda to convict Sara Duterte

UN’s Guterres seriously concerned by US sanctions on ICC

August 20, 2026

Thailand seeks new path to end deadly southern insurgency, negotiator says

August 19, 2026
TRENDING

FURIOUS

1. Sara supporters sibak! House strips key posts from lawmakers who opposed, skipped Duterte impeachment vote

2. Taguig trouble deepens: 42 projects flagged as ‘ghost,’ illegal reclamation evidence eyed vs Alan Cayetano

3. Firm of Zaldy Co’s lawyer reportedly linked to foiled ‘honeytrap’ vs. Ralph Recto
ADVERTISEMENT

POLITIKO | TRENDING IN REGIONS

POLITIKO | NORTH LUZON
Gov. Guico Warns vs. Fake News, AI-Generated Content


Mayor Awisan Brings Government Services Closer to Tapapan Residents


Gov. Singson Welcomes DILG Region V Delegation to Ilocos Sur


POLITIKO | SOUTH LUZON
Rep. Ramil Hernandez pushes discount for students’ cellphone load


Mayor Orlan Calayag distributes refrigerators for Child Development Centers


Mayor Cocoy Mendoza turns over new school facilities, thanks Rep. Aniela Tolentino for support


POLITIKO | CENTRAL LUZON
Mayor Mendoza assures aid to calamity-hit families in Hagonoy


San Luis LGU welcomes ChildFund Navotas for benchmarking activity


Dinalupihan LGU provides food packs to flood-affected residents


POLITIKO | BICOL/MIMAROPA
Villafuerte visits residents of Tigaon barangay


Ismail says fisherfolk beneficiaries to get rice packs


Umali joins disability rights week celebration in Roxas


POLITIKO | METRO MANILA
Laban sa Baha: Mayor Emi, PBBM Inspect Tripa de Gallina Pumping Station


Mayor Joy Partners with DPWH for Major Quezon City Flood Control Projects


Mayor Ruffy Biazon comes to aid of Muntinlupeño OFW who fell prey to human traffickers


POLITIKO | VISAYAS
Cebu councilor pushes biodiesel ordinance to tackle waste, flooding


Gov. Ongchuan explores healthcare partnership with Siemens Healthineers


9,136 NOHS students get free bags, school supplies from Bacolod


POLITIKO | MINDANAO
Maguindanao massacre victim’s daughter urges MTRCB to show 58th in local cinemas


Vice Mayor Rigo Duterte delivers aid to Davao City fire victims


Mayor Irick Agbon pushes faster business permits, data tracking system


ADVERTISEMENT
POLITIKO logo
Facebook Twitter Youtube
Stay ahead in Philippine politics with POLITIKO. Your trusted source for timely and insightful news, shaping the narrative since 2014. #PhilippinePolitics

Navigation

Sitemap
National News
Provincial News
Magazine

About

About Us
Contact Us
Disclaimer
The views and opinions expressed in this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, views and opinions of MCD Multimedia Corporation. Any content provided by our authors or contributors are their opinion are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual or anyone or anything.
COPYRIGHT 2022 | POLITIKO | MCDM All Rights Reserved
MCD MULTIMEDIA
POLITIKO logo
Today's Headlines
Daily Feed
Lokal
Politiskoop
Social Snitch
Video
Politiko LIVE!

REGIONAL NEWS

LUZON

Metro Manila
North Luzon
Central Luzon
South Luzon
Bicol / MIMAROPA

VISAYAS

Visayas

MINDANAO

Mindanao

INTERNATIONAL POLITICS

Global

CAMPUS POLITICS

Campus